March 25, 2018, 02:28:40 am

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Owners Lounge / Re: Heads Up! "A Change Is Gonna Come"
« Last post by frew168 on March 24, 2018, 09:07:48 pm »
This forum is great and I hope the change to the software only makes it even better. Cheers PAJ !
Events and Meets / Re: Scottish trip
« Last post by gmcc on March 23, 2018, 07:30:49 pm »
yeh bill ive already booked the time of work. pity marmite cant make it.
can recommend an award winning curry place at bonner bridge.
dought we go that way, mind you not many roads up there
Events and Meets / Re: Hulme End 2018
« Last post by gmcc on March 23, 2018, 07:22:46 pm »
hey marmite I take it u r perfict em I think not .do u like ure teeth.
yeh im a fat bastard and I stick to your camper van you never camped.
sorry everybody else as bill said I have had a few hard times as we all have.
VF1000 / Re: FF screen
« Last post by gmcc on March 23, 2018, 07:13:35 pm »
i have a fairing with screen . its got a few scratches on screen. but nought to bad you
can see though
VF1000 / Re: VF1000R oil burner
« Last post by vf pete on March 22, 2018, 08:02:34 pm »
I had same thing last year with the boldor I rebuilt, it too hadn't run for a number of years before I got it started, when I did, the engine ran smoke free with the old oil in and had good compression, but when I put new oil in it it blue smoked, I removed the exhaust to have a look at the exhaust valves, they had previously been clean and dry, they were now showing signs of oil running down the stems, the bike still showed good compression, so I assumed it was just the stem seals that needed replacing, BIG MISTAKE, after removing and rebuilding the cylinder heads, new stem seals, re seated valves, it still blue smoked..
So, removed engine again, complete strip down, turned out to be the oil scraper rings stuck in, the compression rings were only just in service limit too,
My thoughts are that the bike ran smoke free with the old dirty oil in as it couldn't get past the oil ring, but the new clean oil did, and I also think oil getting past the oil ring gave a false compression reading..

finally, after all that, I started the engine, the blue smoke was swapped for grey smoke, which turned out to be the pilot screws which needed adjusting.   
« Last post by 86VF1kR on March 22, 2018, 12:45:37 pm »
Hi longclose,
Due to not running for 4 years, it's a possibility that your oil burn situation is due to stuck oil rings. I've encountered this before and found that if you remove the spark plugs and inject an ounce or so of Marvel Mystery Oil in the combustion chamber, hand crank the engine a few times, leave sit for a day or two, there is a chance that the oil rings will loosen up. After this you can install the plugs and start the engine and just let it idle. It will smoke some as it burns off the MMOil. This process may need to be repeated a couple times. I also drain about a quart of oil from the crankcase and replace with roughly the same amount with Marvel Mystery Oil or a quality automatic transmission oil (is highly detergent) which will get to the underside or the oil rings.
As 'paul 810' discussed there can be issues with the carb float needles not seating properly and dumping raw fuel which will make for a rough idle and cause smoking.

Owners Lounge / Re: Heads Up! "A Change Is Gonna Come"
« Last post by bif on March 22, 2018, 10:47:06 am »
Just as well you are over next month,this dummy is going to need expert tuition.
14 years in and I'm just managing the forum lol
Good on ya mate for keeping this asset alive
Regards Bif
Sales and Wants / Need: 85/86 VF1000R rear intake cam
« Last post by Faxe on March 22, 2018, 08:47:10 am »
Hello Folks,

I've got two sets of spare cams. Due to bad luck both rear intake cams have pitting. So I'm looking for a good cam to rebuild my spare engine.

Murphy says: If you have a working replacement, the build in engine won't get broken  ;)

Both front intake cams look good, so if anybody wants to change, this is also possible

If anybody has information about a Company, reworking cams I would also be interested in that.

VF1000 / FF screen
« Last post by Bart on March 21, 2018, 10:59:50 pm »
Due to some ear/ wind noise issues have have developed over the last year I want to try a cut down screen on the FF but don't want to ruin the one on the bike.

Has anyone got a damaged/spare one they don't want/need?

« Last post by paul 810 on March 21, 2018, 09:26:01 pm »
Hi longclose first I must ask what the mileage is and these bikes are not renown for smoking badly, my fe had bunged up carbs so I removed them and cleaned them and refitted them and when I restarted it she was running okish but was not quite right and the bike smoked a bit and kept on smoking even after 40 minutes of running, so I replaced the plugs and leads and recleaned carbs and found one carb was flooding directly into the engine so bought new float seats and valves and restarted her, the bike smoked again for about 25 minutes but found this to be old fuel in exhaust system mixed with old carbon burning off, usually worn valve stem seals will cause it to initially smoke but would soon clear, rings usually when worn will smoke on the over run and during gear changes,, I would replace carb float seats and needle valves and have carbs sonicly cleaned I could do the carbs for you if you remove all parts as long as you are in England, hope this helps
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10