January 17, 2018, 07:14:15 am

Author Topic: Clutch slipping  (Read 12051 times)

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • AOL Instant Messenger -
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clutch slipping
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 01:55:24 am »
Well finally today the friction disks came in; however the kit only had a qty of six disks in it not the qty nine as required.  I bought them from this site which shows nine in the picture so I never questioned it.  I'm now questioning with the darn guy I bought them from; not sure if he will send the three or not. And I'm not sure if I can mix and match if I buy them independently, or use three of the existing ones - would that be possible?  Any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200450551292&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

planty

• VF1000 Pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 04:50:49 am »
Hi Terry,

He should send the rest as it says 9 in the description, if he doesn't lodge a 'item not as described' dispute with Ebay, that'l get him hopping!
VF1000F

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 09:00:18 pm »
Thanks Tony
            Nice to here from you, I'll do that right now' I hope it was just an honest mistake.

jinx

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
This is quite easy you just tell him you will feedback him negative and he will probably send the rest, I tryed it in asimilar case and I got me thing very soon, the sellers are afraid of negative feedback.

Best to all
Gunnar

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 01:55:51 pm »
Thanks Gunnar              
               I have sent three e-mails, two through eBay and one to his personal;  The darn thing is, it took over two weeks two get them.  Things will be very grim if I must wait two more weeks, but we'll see.

Terry

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 12:10:02 am »
Hi Guys
             Well I finally have all 9 friction disks and have installed them; Its been so long since I took the clutch apart, I have forgotten the last part of the assembly where the large aluminum plate along with the smaller one that fits in the centre and is held with the snap ring - I think are the last parts to be installed. I'll try to explain my question - this larger plate comes in contact with the last friction disk.  What holds the plate all together to keep contact with the friction disks?  Remember, I have it all assembled but I can remove that large plate as nothing is preventing it from coming apart from the friction disks. I'm not sure if I have explained this correctly.

VF1000fe                                 Terry

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 07:54:15 pm »
I started the engine this morning, I could hear something, a noise in the clutch area.  I then pulled on the clutch lever to try to disengage the clutch but the lever is hard as a rock.   The noise in the clutch has gone but I cannot pull the lever in.  I'm not sure what has changed as I only changed the clutch friction disks, put everything back together (I'm pretty sure the same way as it came off), put the cover back on, filled with oil, started the engine but the clutch lever is rock hard.  Any suggestions?

planty

• VF1000 Pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:09 am »
G'day Terry, Only a guess but it might be the pushrod (operated by the clutch slave cylinder) not sitting in properly, sounds like you may have to pull it apart again though [xx(]
VF1000F

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 05:20:06 pm »
Can I go though the slave cylinder; rather than the clutch side.

crooky1811

• VF1000 Pro
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »
I would take the clutch back off if were you.It must be something not fitted correctly not allowing the plates to disengage in the basket.You haven't touched anyting else so it has to be in the clutch.Good luck.
VF1000FF x 2,VF1000F2F BOLD'OR,VF500F2F x2,CBR1000F,PUCH GP,SIMSON S51,HONDA MT5,GTR1400

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »
OK Thanks guy's will have a go tonight, Will let you know.

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 12:40:18 am »
I took off the clutch lifter plate and the clutch plate and it appears as though the clutch plate has come in contact with the cover, just a slight scuff mark, nothing much, which means to me the clutch plate may not have been in against the friction disks enough.  

I tried to push back the push rod but no chance; I then pulled on the clutch lever and the rod moved out maybe 1/16 or so but then went rock hard again.  I was unable to push the rod back and I'm not sure just what to do now other than bleed the line, what do you think  - it's a real pain!

scratcher

• VF1000 Hero
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger - spod42@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 04:04:29 pm »
Take the clutch piston off the sprocket cover and make sure that the pushrod is located correctly inside the piston. Could be jammed? Either that or the clutch basket components have been incorrectly assembled. If it was OK before, somethings got to have been put back in wrong. Double check the number of plates you have fitted as well, just in case. Take a methodical approach and work through it, checking each thing as you go and you'll find it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:06:43 pm by scratcher »

hydra2172

• VF1000 Owner
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »
Hi Scratcher
                  Is the piston you mean (clutch piston off the sprocket cover) ? Is that the piston in the Master slave cyl, Just to make sure.
                                   Thanks

scratcher

• VF1000 Hero
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger - spod42@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 06:27:22 pm »
Yes, the one on the sprocket cover. Take it off, its held on by 3 bolts of differing lengths, so don't mix em up. The pushrod locates in the centre of it, and it could have stuck. On occasion it's been known for the piston to seize in its housing too, so now its off, check the piston moves when you operate the lever, then try and push the piston back in. You should be able to do it slowly by hand.