January 19, 2018, 11:27:22 pm

Author Topic: VF1000F2 speedo flicking around and reading high  (Read 187 times)

Hoges

• VF1000 Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
VF1000F2 speedo flicking around and reading high
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:34:21 pm »
Hi all.

My 85 VF1000F2 speedo is bouncing around all over the place, and if it remains steady whilst underway will like be showing double the speed the bike is doing at the time.  Not to sure whether its a bad signal or the speedometer is on the way out.

Any thoughts as to why its doing this?
Hoges

Halfmad

• VF1000 Owner
    • View Profile
Re: VF1000F2 speedo flicking around and reading high
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »
That's odd i would think

If ya can't get it fixed i've a set from a 1987 one for sale

windysolar1

• VF1000 God
  • Norwich England United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:55:26 am »
you speedo cable is faulty
the wheel drive is mechanical so its not that
clocks are very reliable in my opinion
1984 Honda 1000cc V4 In UK
Original 1982 Yamaha XJ1100J I USA  Topeka
She could be on a slow boat home soon
Watch this space............................

insignis

• VF1000 Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:29:38 pm »
I have two F2s...both do exactly the same thing. I have swapped around cables (inner and outer), gearbox drives, and of course the actual units. I have tried a brand new cable (so that’s three cables in total). I have tried two different types of grease (lithium and something general), and then powdered graphite. Same result. My conclusion is that there was a bad batch of instruments (perhaps just in the 460 bikes that came to Australia?), and particularly the little plastic gear that drives the odometer. What I currently ride with is a speedo that initially works accurately and steadily, then as riding time progresses the needle swings and reads wildly optimistic (200km/h+ in third gear...who would have thought that possible 😀). My best guess is that the heat generated through use (friction of all those gears whirring around inside the unit) causes the instrument to malfunction. Normal service resumes once the speedo ‘cools down’ (I park the bike at work for the day). And of course neither odometer works. Both my speedometers are in great external condition, never dropped or damaged. One of them had travelled just 18,000km from new, initially fine, but it stopped working reliably just short of 20,000km. I’ve owned at least a dozen Honda’s over the years, road and off-road, and have never known this issue with any of them, except the F2. Is it the way the cable is routed on the F2? Seems conventional, and there’s no evidence of wear, abrasion or kinks.  I agree with someone’s earlier comment about the quality of Honda instruments....except the F2. In fact I’ve never had this issue with any bike, Honda or not. I enjoy riding the F2, now I just take a device with me (Velcroed to the triple clamp) to calculate speed and distance, and ignore the needle that oscillates madly and the trip counter permanently stuck on 0000. Let me know what your investigation turns up. Would love to have a solution.
1985 Honda VF1000F2 Bol D'or
1984 Kawasaki GPZ 900r