October 19, 2017, 05:28:34 pm

Author Topic: VF750 Shaft  (Read 108 times)

Marmite

• VF1000 Hero
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • AOL Instant Messenger -
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
VF750 Shaft
« on: October 04, 2017, 07:16:50 pm »
A friend of mine is considering buying a VF750 Shaft Drive and asked me what they were like but I know nothing about them.  Anybody out there had any experience of these ? Any do's and don'ts ? Things to check on after you've kicked the tyres ?

Marmite

jeremyr62

• VF1000 Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: VF750 Shaft
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:44:57 pm »
That would be the VF750S. The first of the V4s in 1982 or 1983. The bike that coined the phrase chocolate camshaft. Other than that I know nothing about them other than they were buck ugly. I think they only lasted a year and then the F model came in. They were selling them for new for many years afterwards because they were not popular.

bif

• Administrator
  • VF1000 God
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:55:47 pm »
Hi Marmite,I built one of these a few years back and found it to be a bit of a dark horse.
Yes this was the model that started the cam saga off but any still running will have been modded long ago.
Loads of electronics on the dash,shaft drive and a rather slick 6 speed box.
This thing is no slouch but being as long as it is the handling takes a bit of getting used to.
Usual checks required,top end should be quiet and tickover smooth,no leaks from the carbs(as much as a pig to work on as the VF1k) and regardless of miles check the underside of the swing arm as they are prone to rust through.
All in all a sound bike even if the style is not to everyone's taste.
Regards Bif

Marmite

• VF1000 Hero
    • ICQ Messenger -
    • MSN Messenger -
    • AOL Instant Messenger -
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:42:47 pm »
Thanks Biff, that's a more constructive response. The guy who asked me the question is going to be at Stafford so I / we can tell him and see if he's gone ahead away.
Hope to see you at the weekend.

Marmite.